Natalie - Advance, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the right of life above and beyond all things. Life is precious and is something that holds a very different meaning for all of us. All human beings interpret the meaning of life in their own way and if asked what it means to live your life to the fullest, everyone will have a very different answer.

No matter what hardships you encounter, life is precious. There are many viable elements of life but to me it is becoming an individual and establishing and developing your own place in society. I believe in the formation of lasting friendships and establishing good relationships with friends, family members and all of our significant others. Life should not about the materialistic things you may have, but about the person that you are each and every day and how you live those days to the fullest. It should be about being the best person you can be while you are here on this earth.

Almost seventeen years ago, I came into this world three months prematurely as a two pound baby. My lungs were underdeveloped and I required intensive care in order to survive. At this critical time in my mother’s life she was horrified that the child she had been carrying inside her womb for only six months would not live. My mother and father put their trust in the doctors to meet my intense physical needs and to help me survive. The eventual outcome in regards to my quality of life was uncertain but with the support of my family and the medical caregivers I thrived as a child with very few developmental delays. I was extremely sick and needed constant medical care and treatment, but above all it required my mother and fathers love, which they have supplied for seventeen years and will continue to always and forever.

How do we value our life? Does our beginning have anything to do with our end? Is our life what we make of it or is determined to a certain extent by other factors of which we have no control? Everyday we are required to make life changing decisions. Events happen that we don’t understand immediately but eventually it becomes clear that perhaps there was a hidden purpose. We can only value our life and the life of others in the hope that in time we will understand what it means to live our life to the fullest.