Emily - Savannah, Missouri
Themes: carpe diem

Abraham Lincoln once said “And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” Life is a wonderful thing that can bring us a lot of joy and happiness, but it can also bring us hard times. I believe that we need to look around these hard times and make what we want with our life. I believe that to have a successful life I should follow three simple words: Live. Laugh. Love.

I believe that we need to live our life. This means to live each day to its fullest. James Baez once said “You don’t choose how you’re going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you’re going to live. Now.” I believe that we need to get out into the world and do what we want to do instead of sitting around and doing nothing at all. I also think that we should be able to do our actions without having any regrets. A wise man once said, “We need to understand the past in order to move forwards in the future.” If something happens for the worse, we need to accept the situation and move on with our life.

I can apply this quote to my life since my parents had just got a divorce in the past year. It was very hard on the whole family and I thought that getting a divorce was the worst mistake for my parents and was going to tear my family apart. After the divorce happened it was devastating for me and my sisters. I could not handle the hurt, and it was as if crying was a daily thing. I had to move to a new house and get used to new things such as switching from my mom’s to dad’s house every other weekend. After about 4 months now, I have had ups and downs, but finally have decided to accept this divorce. I couldn’t stand being sad all the time; it’s not what I was usually like. I had to deal with the situation and move on with my life. All I can do now is live my life with my family in our new lives. This divorce has taught me to face and accept new challenges and even when you think you hit rock bottom, to keep on living and don’t give up.

Laughing is also important in life. When I laugh I am showing I am having a good time and am enjoying the people I am around. I believe it is important to express this emotion. When something makes me mad, I always forget it or just laugh it off instead of always being mad. I don’t like to be mad at people and if I am mad at someone, it isn’t a long period of time. I believe that you shouldn’t waste your time being mad or upset because it won’t get you anywhere and you will be the one missing out on the fun.

It is also important to have love in your life. You must love not only your life, but everyone in it. I love everyone and I try to spend as much time with my family and friends as possible. I try to have good, crazy times with friends and create memories that will last my whole life. Without my friends and family, I wouldn’t be where I am today. They have helped shape the person I am and have always helped me out in my journey through life.

Our life here on Earth is limited. I think that it is important that we find happiness and success in our life. In order to have quality life I try to live life to the fullest, laugh during the good times with the people who are important in my life, and love my family, friends, and people that have made a difference in my life.