Anna - Aurora, Illinois

I believe that age doesn’t matter when it comes to having children. I’m a twenty-two year old mother of three. I grew up in a traditional Mexican family that believed I had to be married first and of age to have children. I was thirteen when I met my husband Miguel who was fifteen at the time. I knew I loved him right from the beginning. I’d known him for two years prior to us dating and always had a thing for him. I knew I was young and thought “hey it’s just a boyfriend” like many girls my age who had dated already. But it was something special about him that made me realize that I could see us together having a family. I didn’t plan on being a mother so young I had plans for the future like finishing school and going to college. I wanted to follow my mother’s footsteps and be happily married and have children but first finish my education. My dreams I thought came to an end when I was fifteen and found out I was pregnant. What would I do? How would I be able to support a child not having an education and career? I dropped out of school that semester because of all the morning sickness I thought I couldn’t do it. Everyone soon found out and it was like I was the subject of everyone’s conversation. My aunts, uncles, cousins, mom, dad, were all let down by me and the decisions I had made. I was supposed to be having a huge party when I turned fifteen. This was a big traditional thing Mexican families did to show that you had made it to this age as a virgin. I let everyone down out of everyone I was the last they had thought would have been pregnant. As a kid I wasn’t allowed to go out, go to sleepovers anything. When I seen everyone’s reaction towards me I decided I’m going to prove them wrong. Then I did I went to into a program for young student mother’s at the YWCA. I was able to finish and get my high school diploma. I did this while going to work because I had to be able to buy everything I needed for my baby. My favorite uncle thought I was done and that I wouldn’t make it this far as to finish school and I was proud that I prove him wrong. I had my son without any problems and continue my education and working after he turned one. My husband and I got married shortly after the baby and lived together. I do have to admit that he was a big part of my success. We both pulled closer to be able to succeed and got a home at the age of seventeen and him eighteen. When my son turned two I found out I was pregnant again I had my second son and then two years later had my third boy. While everyone was still thinking that I had made huge mistakes I was enjoying the motherhood of my three little one’s. I was happily married to their father and stayed home after he was able to support the household. I enjoyed the housewife role for a few years while the kids were small and then decided I have to set new goals this time higher. I decided I’ll go back to school and finish my nursing degree like I had planned. During this time I had my house, kids, husband everything I needed nothing less for happiness. I’m still in school now at the age of twenty-two finishing my degree and I can honestly say that I don’t regret not waiting to have children. My kids have everything they need love, parents, affection and this is why I believe that there’s no certain age on having children. I’m a very proud wife and mother. I believe in “Don’t judge a book by its cover” Because I once was judged and was able to prove everyone wrong.