Manfredo - Naperville, Illinois

I believe in loyalty. I believe that there are many different forms of loyalty. Loyalty can take shape in an action or through spoken words, sometimes it is even the things that we do not say or do that prove our loyalty. It is rather difficult to have a single universal definition for the word loyalty in a world that is in constant change. There are some who may loosely throw the word around and not clearly understand what they are saying. According to the Webster Dictionary the meaning of the word loyalty is: unswerving in allegiance: as a : faithful in allegiance to one’s lawful sovereign or government b : faithful to a private person to whom fidelity is due c : faithful to a cause, ideal, custom, institution, or product.

From where I come from and the way I was raised has influenced my own perception of this word. I was taught at a young age that many people take the meaning of a friend just as lightly as they do loyalty. These are two very important words in relationship to one another because they are directly correlated. It is not uncommon for a single person to claim that they have roughly two best friends, ten good friends, and twenty other acquaintances that they would consider friends. While this person has so many friends, I bet they would have to seriously debate whether or not their “friends” would sacrifice their life for them because of the loyalty they have to them and their friendship. They may be lucky enough to find one or two people within their circle that would fall into this category. My strong feelings and respect for words such as loyalty and friendship allows for me to claim that I have five friends. Not to be boastful at all, but I have never had a problem with making acquaintances but I do not allow people the honor of calling themselves my friend if I do not think they will share my loyalty to a friendship. The five men that I consider to be my friends minus well be my brothers because we would all gladly lay down our lives so that another one of us may live.

I started this off with my “I believe in Loyalty…” but as I said there are so many variations and different perceptions of this word and the things that it could describe that I ended up talking about friendship. I could have easily called this “I believe in Friendship…” because these two words, loyalty and friendship, each have the same fundamental principles that make them have such a great significance on people similar to myself. I believe in having such a great and strong bond with another person that the fear in dying, the fear in anything, does not fright you, I believe in true and pure loyalty.