Cathy - Orwell, Vermont
Themes: parenthood

Stronger Than She Thought

It’s funny how you never think about how your mother became who she is. What life changing moments led her down her road in life? Then, yet another illness invades her body and you, as an adult, begin conversations that you never thought of before. She tells you of her father’s behavior toward her own mother after her bout with cancer. How that has affected her her whole life. You learn of her loneliness since her divorce from your father and all the derogatory remarks he made to her and allowed to be made to her. How could he treat the woman who gave him forty three years of her life , who gave him six children and put up with his boyish behavior all those years like that? You learn that she doesn’t think she is as strong as everyone else does. She feels like a burden and doesn’t want us to make a fuss over her

Well, Mom, I wish you were here to see how truly brave and strong you were. You rose above two bouts of breast cancer, continuous bouts of melanoma, the loss of two daughters and the adoption of another, the ill treatment of a depressed man and you fought hard to win the battle against Leukemia. When you told me that you weren’t as strong as I thought you were, I did not agree. Even with Leukemia you fought on. Until your last breath you fought to hold on for us, your children. You are and always will be my hero.

As I look back now at all the things that have happened in my mother’s life, I hope she can see how strong she truly was. Her passing has hit my family hard, but we know that her strength and bravery live on in us and we will be united forever by her love.