Lazaro - eagan, Minnesota

I Believe…..

I believe that the majority of Americans don’t know what to think. We appear to be waiting for someone to tell us what we should believe. If you were to ask this same question to a random person on the street, he or she would likely look around to gather an idea to answer it, instead of looking inside of him or herself. We are afraid to think for ourselves and the ones that are brave enough to do so are thought to be weird simply because they are different.

I believe it is okay to think for your self and to disagree with the rest of the world. A single person shouldn’t need followers to justify their beliefs. It’s a common sight in the world that we are living in, seeing a single person followed by a group of followers behind him. This is not limited to men either. Women are guilty of the same actions. The reason for this is the simple fact that there is safety in numbers. In their mind, they are indestructible; no one is going to want to mess with a large group. In those same groups, if one of the followers were to break away from the ideas of the others, that member would be forced out by the others as a defense mechanism, leaving the outcast alone with his new ideas.

I recently had the pleasure of watching the feature film Man of the Year, starring Robin Williams. The film was made out to be a comedy, but as I see it, it was not. There was some comical relief that were used by the director to help ease the tension the film created. The fact that a person with money could destroy your life by making everyone around you believe that you were clinically insane and on drugs is terrifying. While watching the film, I was overwhelmed by fear. This was due to the fact that in real life there are real politicians who have the ability to do what was done in this film.

I believe that our fear of thinking individually is caused by our country’s leaders. When they are in debates, they are commonly asked to discuss their very own beliefs. To answer these questions, they recall a speech that was written by some one else. So I pose the question, whose belief’s are we really voting for? Is it the wax figure politician in front of us or the companies controlling the pen?