Carri - Wayne, West Virginia

When you have no one else to turn to, when all of your friends are gone, your family will be there. This is why I believe in family.

I once read somewhere that over half of the children that are into trouble today don’t have a stable, loving family. Maybe this is why they act out the way they do.

I don’t understand what happened to the meaning of family. I thought I knew but the meaning seems to be changing all the time.

I was raised to believe that we get through school, find our true love, get married, and start building a family. I also thought that my family and my true love’s family would be with us with every step we would take. All the good and bad times family should be together to help each other get by.

Growing up was great for me and my sister until our parents divorced when I was 12 years old. I never seen my step dad much after that and my mom started to drink a lot. My mom only drake for about a year or so but it had lasting effects on her daughters. In my eyes, I had no mom or dad, so I had no one to take care of me. It was time to take care of myself. I also wanted their attention more than anything. I started doing drugs, partying a lot and then I found my “true love” after I quit school. My “true love” was 22 years old, that’s nine years older than me.

My “true love” and I had three children and we got married after the first one was born. My “true love” beat on me every day for stupid reasons. Then one day my husband tried to kill me. I was on the phone with my sister when he started hitting me. My sister called the police and just before my husband used his sword to cut my throat, the cops showed up.

I had my family by my side throughout all 8 years I was with my “true love”. They got me past the hardest part of my life. I have my family to thank for giving me the strength I needed to get my children out so we could have a safe home. My family isn’t much like how I dreamed it would be but my family is all I have.

If all these kids are upset and acting out because they don’t have loving families then I think we need to work harder to keep our families together. No family is perfect but I cherish mine. Family means love, faith, strength, togetherness. Family means home to me. A home should be happy and full of love. These kids need family even if it’s not like the dream I had. I know now that it’s not about what it should be, it’s about what it is. Family means so much more and every child should have a family. This I believe.