Emily - Newton, Massachusetts
Themes: change

I believe that a man who has never done one good thing in his lifetime can still do a good thing.

I believe that once a man has done a good thing, other good things will follow.

I believe that there is always unlimited potential for change, and

I believe that change is more often for the better than for anything else.

I believe that when milky green crocus spears slice passages through the snow soaked earth to the sun, the change is for the better.

I believe that when squirrels once again sail from one stout branch to the next and inch across taut telephone wires after the vernal equinox, the change is for the better.

I believe that when, for the first time each year, a whippoorwill’s melodic trills tug me from temperate sleep into the blinding of a morning, the change is for the better.

I believe that when the brook dries to a merry trickle and the children can splash there without fear of currents, the change is for the better.

I believe that when respite from our nearest most blistering star can only be found under the thin, dark leaves hanging from the neighbors’ willow tree, the change is for the better.

I believe that when I awake in the night, gulping the molten air for oxygen and yearning for water not full of the dregs from the backup tank, the change is for the better.

I believe that the moment I slide on the crisp lemony leaves underfoot, the change is for the better.

I believe that when I need a sweater to enjoy a stroll past the ivied redbrick of city hall under the painful, piercing blue sky, the change is for the better.

I believe that when the Indian corn no longer adorns a stalk, but rather fastens to the center of the front door, the change is for the better.

I believe that when tendrils of frost creep up the windows, threatening to shatter the glass, the change is for the better.

I believe that when delicately heavy snowdrifts settle to the ground and bury the roots of leafless, lifeless trees, the change is for the better.

I believe that when the frogs retreat to their muddy holes in the frozen riverbank, when the chipmunks hole up snug in the foundation of the house, when the last Canadian geese have long since sailed, chevron-shaped, across the sky, the change is for the better.

I believe that man cannot interfere with the burning of the sun or the patter of the rain on a sleepy rooftop.

I believe that man can hush a baby’s cry.

I believe that man can harm another.

I believe that man can and will feel remorse.

I believe that a man, who, once, would have harmed another, can now hush a baby’s cry and softly whisper a lullaby as evening changes to night.