Kristi - New York, New York
Themes: death

Roman philosopher Cicero once stated, “The life given us by nature is short, but the memory of a life well spent is eternal.” I believe that although a lifetime isn’t very long, the good memories of it will always last. It doesn’t matter how many years a person lives. The only thing that does matter is if the person actually lived those years of his or her life. You can spend your entire life trying not to give into temptations, or to do anything risky, and for what? You’ll end up many years later dying from absolutely nothing but age. But, take a person who died from doing something they loved most, may it be figure skating, horseback riding, or anything! My main point is, at least they haven’t left behind an empty life. They’ve gone after their dreams, whether it was silly dreams, ambitious dreams, or even crazy ones. Those they’ve met and the experiences they’ve gone through will remain with them forever.

On October 31, 2006, a friend of mine died. David Higgins was only 19 years old, but I could list all the things he’s done throughout that time, which can surpass any number of years. I still remember the summer when we played man-hunt for hours, running around like headless chickens all through my neighborhood. It was so dark we could barely see 5 feet away from us. I still remember his witty remarks, spirited sense of humor, and his unconditional generosity. In fact, many would say it was his love of giving that killed him. David had welcomed a “friend” to his home when he had no where else to go, and even though David was stabbed to death by this very person, I could bet you anything if he had lived through it, he’d still forgive and move on. David had a very big heart, and didn’t waste it on time hating. Instead, he’d continue to touch the lives of everyone he’s met. There was also an article on how everyone in a college class of his reminisced on all the little things he did for them. Whether it be bringing a girl curly fries simply because he knew she liked them, or placing a smile on someone who’s had a bad day, he was always trying to find new ways to bring love and happiness into the lives of everyone around him. And for all this, I remember David Higgins… and because of all this, I recognize the joy and value of a life well spent.