Alec - Old Greenwich, Connecticut

I Believe

I believe in destiny. I believe in a pre-determined fate, that certain things will happen to us no matter what. I believe the only thing we can change, is how we get there, what road we take.

As a kid, I never really thought of the future much. Similar to any other kid, I was concerned with the present, what I was doing, which friend I was playing with. However as I got older, especially in the recent years, I began to think about the future, what is in store for me, what I am going to do, and how I am going to do it.

Despite having a mom who is always concerned with the future, college is on my mind. But, if I believe in a pre-determined fate, that what will happen will happen, why worry about the small things? To answer this: I believe that we can decide how we get to our pre-determined fate, or fates along the way of life. And I believe that what path we take is the most important part. If it is destined for me to have a daughter, then so be it, but I would rather have that daughter with a good education and job, than with nothing. I cannot change my fate of a daughter, but I can change what will happen that leads up to this fate.

I believe that some times, things just happen for a reason. In my life, things have happened to me, which I can credit to none other than fate. Nothing sensational, like missing one of the 9/11 planes because your driver was late, but enough to make me realize that it was not just a coincidence.

Last year I was reminded about fate. I was walking to the Cos-Cob train station after school, to take the train to my Dad’s house. (My parents are divorced, and I share time between my mom in Greenwich, and my dad in Westport.) After buying a ticket, I walked below the tracks to get to the New Haven bound side. Just as I took my seat on one of the metal benches, Metro North’s automated system was kind enough to let me know that unfortunately, or fortunately as you will see, my train was “running approximately fifty to fifty-five minutes late.” Figuring that I would miss my normal connection train at Stamford station, I gave my dad a call. When my dad answered I explained that the train was really late, and that he might as well come pick me up. He paused for a moment, and then replied that I was not meant to be coming back that day, since he and step-mom were going New York City that afternoon. Fate, destiny, miracle, call it what you want, but something had made that train late, letting me call my dad. Fate had stopped me from taking the normal train. Fate had stopped me from being stranded in Westport that afternoon.

A big question when dealing with the idea of pre-determined fates is: What points in our lives are unchangeable, where does fate play a role? Ever since I developed this idea, I have wondered what parts in my life I have control of. Although I may wonder, this is a question that I may never answer. For this reason, I feel that every moment in my, or anyone’s life, is important. Since we don’t know what may be our fate, we should live life to the fullest. I believe that we should not take anything for granted, and deal with what comes our way the best we can. This I believe.