Blake - Healdsburg, California

My sense of humor has been an irreplaceable part of me every day I have been alive. It has been my tool of choice with which to connect to the world ever since my dad showed me Monty Python and the Holy Grail, a movie from an ancient time called “The ’70s.” I wasn’t old enough to understand some of the jokes, but seeing the Black Knight get his arms chopped off, only to kick King Arthur in the head when he thanks God for his victory had tears streaming down my face the whole movie. For the next several months, whenever my dad would take me to help him pick out a movie to watch that night, the first choice in my mind was always Holy Grail. I begged and pleaded with my dad until he couldn’t stand it, but I was oblivious to his annoyance as I couldn’t get enough of Arthur, his silly English kah-nigg-its, the coconuts, or the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. After watching it enough times to see the beacon of Castle Anthrax in my sleep, I gave it a rest for some years, with many of the scenes committed to memory and an appreciation for humor in my heart and mind.

Today, after letting that love for humor grow and define my personality, no social commentary is as powerful to me as satire. Although men such as Martin Luther, Malcolm X, Edward Murrow, or Nelson Mandela, fought long, trying battles against religious, political, and social injustice, Christopher Guest and Dave Berry have had more of an impact on how I view the world. This is the power humor has for me. It can turn a bloodbath into a laugh riot, morph a wisecrack into a life lesson, and, when I’m meeting someone new, break the ice faster that a fat penguin. While this adoration of humor does all this for me, the most important thing it does is that it makes me smile, makes me feel good, and makes me feel just a bit saner in this crazy world we live in.