Melissa - Healdsburg, California

White Space on a Calendar

As a child, I was always the one who played five sports, got all A’s, and still managed to have a social life. Now in highschool, life isn’t so easy to deal with. I feel overwhelmed each and every day because I try to do it all. While I do love to be busy, it’s the busyness hangover that always gets me. I love being in the moment, but never look ahead and manage my time well.

I usually am awake until the latest hours of the night trying to finish my homework that I never had the time to finish beforehand. My daily routine usually consists of going to school, going to my grandma’s house, doing five minutes of homework, then going to volleyball, and after dinner, finishing the rest of my homework. Life isn’t so easy when your body is going five thousand miles per minute and your brain has no way of catching up. Maybe the problem is that I have too much homework. But, I know that I have no control of that whatsoever, so I do blame my frazzled personality on the fact that I do not have enough time in the day to finish everything I need to.

I hear the minutes ticking past as I write this essay, and I think, “Maybe I should have started this essay when it was assigned, instead of waiting until the last minute.” Now I sit at my computer, half asleep, wondering how all of the time slipped through my fingers. Did I fall asleep? No, I couldn’t have slept for two weeks. I think that I was just so busy that I never stopped to look at my situation and allot my time differently. While this is the problem that occurs most frequently with me, I never seemed to find a solution, until last week.

I stared up at the calendar in shock, looking at my plans for the day. While I was there, I also decided to look at what I would be doing for the rest of the week. As my eyes followed the numbers to the 25th, my jaw dropped in astonishment. No wonder I never had any time It was completely sucked away by the ink scribbled all over the calendar. How I was ever able to do all of that amazed me.

Now, I have come up with a system that should help every family, no matter what their composition is. It is not difficult, and shouldn’t be, because that is what we are getting rid of. Each week, simply choose a day in which you don’t do a single thing. Make sure the box for that day is left completely untouched by the evils of the ballpoint pen. Then, when life hits you hard, you have time to recuperate and let your brain make an attempt to catch up. I tend to choose my day near the middle of the week, so it helps me get back on track and focus for the remaining days of the week. This method really helps me clear my head and prepare for the important things, such as school.

However, there is a fine line between laziness, and choosing a day or two for relaxation. One who is lazy doesn’t do anything in the first place, and their calendar has not the slightest bit of ink on it. Whereas someone who needs time off is constantly feeling confused and has barely enough time for the three essential meals. This type of person needs a day off, or their head will burst So if you play with that fine line, my theory will not work. You must always strive to be the best, and never give up because you don’t have time. You must learn to make time, and if it means waking up at five a.m. to finish homework, by all means do so.

Each week, I look at my schedule and try to figure out how much time I will need for the activity, and try to better manage my time. As my eyes scan across the page, they are caught on what seems to be something angelic. That lone day which is completely white, seems to hypnotize me. While I do not like to live a rushed life, I must learn to face reality. However, I look forward to the “white day” in which I know will be just wonderful. So if you are ever feeling overwhelmed, stressed, or can’t manage your time, remember: leave some with space on your calendar. You will appreciate it in the long run, and this I believe.