Tyler - long grove, Illinois

I Believe

I believe in eating fatty foods. Now I don’t mean fatty foods like McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s, or Dominos, but real food. Food like my grandmother’s mother made. Food made with real meat and cheese and tomatoes and fatty butter and oil; Recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation, that kind of fatty food. Our society is obsessed with the belief that being beautiful is to be ultra thin, eating tofu and a piece of lettuce. Far gone are the days when it was acceptable to eat a big plate of spaghetti toped with alfrado sauce and meatballs, or a nice big piece of brisket with buttery, salty mash potatoes.

I grew up eating these kinds of foods. Every day was another great meal. My mom is a great cook. She is Jewish; it’s almost breed into her. She makes some of the best kreplach ever. For those who don’t know, kreplach is a big dumpling about the size of an average mans fist and it is literally stuff, almost to explosion, with delectable meat, usually brisket. These are the type of meals that I’m used to, the type of meals that many families are used. Most families in America have recipes that were given to them by there parents or grandparents. These are the foods and meals that define our diversified cultures and where our families have come from. I’m not suggesting that everyday people eat fatty foods, high in cholesterol and fat, but I am merely suggesting that it is okay to eat these kinds of food every once in a while.

There is no harm in eating German brats, or having corn beef and cabbage. The foods of my culture and the foods of other cultures are important. To simply forget about these foods is to forget about our heritage, to simply throw away who our people are. Jewish, Irish, German, Russian, Italian, Indian you name it, this are all different cultures that bring different and unique tastes to this nation, and these foods contain lots of sugars and oils and fat and salt and thousands of other ingredients. They define us, they give us a past to learn from and to pass on to others and new generations. Without them we lose all sense of who we are as individuals and groups. To try every diverse recipes and meals brings me joy and gives me a sense of what other cultures are like. Eating fatty foods is what keeps me connected with the world and my heritage, this I believe.