Andrew - North Augusta, South Carolina

I believe in asking questions. Questions lead to knowledge. Without knowledge there is ignorance. Some people would say ignorance is bliss. I think that this only partially true. Though you may be happy not knowing certain things by not asking question, you will start to miss things. I have missed things.

When I was about seven my best friend Michael and his little brother Mathew would spend the night at my house. On abut three or four occasions Matthew would come over with band aids all over his legs. He didn’t wear the band-aids just to be wearing them, he wore them to cover up the welts, bruises and burns. I didn’t question why he did that. I just turned my head like it didn’t happen. In my mind I never saw it. I never questioned why Michael would beg and plead for me to come over to his house even though we would have more fun at my house. In hindsight I saw that when I was there he didn’t get hurt. I didn’t ask why when their dad would go in his room for hours and come out happy, incoherent, disoriented, and he wasn’t himself. Now Mathew and Michael live in hundreds of miles away from me and their dad. Their dad has also lost everything to his name.

If I had questioned any of I Michael would still be here, and we would have known about his dad’s drug problem. I have found that people in general don’t ask questions. Most people don’t realize how many people in this country are getting abused or have drug problems. Even if people get a hint of what is really going on they don’t ask they look away and pretend it doesn’t happen because it doesn’t affect them.

I have also caught myself not questioning certain things and then I start to follow them blindly. That is how you start to fight for a cause that you can’t name. That is why I question everything from why or how something works, to why some one does something, and even up to questioning religion and authority. Most of the time I don’t even ask out loud, instead I just ask in my head. I ask questions to understand, acknowledge, and even prevent some things. That is why I believe in asking questions, not only for my self but for others.