Mary - 95448, California

This I Believe…

The sun rises and the sun sets, every day. Separating day from day. However did you realize how not even the time of sun rise and sun set is etched in stone. If nature bloomed every flower, grew every tree, and washed every wave on shore at a specific time, then I would understand how time could be of such importance. Until then, you should not revolve around time; this I believe.

When I am out on a run I don’t wear a watch, or carry my cell phone for that matter. I don’t care if my run takes half and hour or two hours. I run until I feel satisfied, or sometimes until it is too dark to run anymore. I don’t care what the time is or even if anyone wants to get a hold of me, when I run, that is my time.

For the past eleven years I have had the same morning routine. I awake at six, and have a list of chores I must complete before I am able to leave for school. This includes feeding my livestock, making breakfast, packing a lunch, as well as any girl’s morning rituals of hair and make-up. I’ve never been the type of person to pencil in my own chores, but rather am known as the one who is always running late. I never know how long my tasks may take, and frankly I don’t mind the mystery in it. My horse may need fresh water, or I may possibly have to barrow eggs from the neighbors for breakfast. Although my school does not begin until 8:10am, I have had a huge problem of making it to school on time and use to feel ashamed by it. I can not help that I put energy into everything I do, and enjoy it enough to want to take my time.

I am the varsity first baseman for our high school softball team, and we recently had a Saturday morning game on our home field last weekend. I showed up late, and sat the bench for the whole game. In spite of this, I was not upset or angry. For my birthday I received a bike, to take to college. I live out in the country, so I rarely get a chance to take it out and mash around town. It must have been the brilliant sunshine we had that Saturday morning, but for some reason I was stuck on the idea of ridding my bike to my game. I got a slow start out my door and peddled fast and hard to try to make it on time, nonetheless I failed to do so. After the game my coach offered to give me a ride home and I almost felt offended by the question. It was such a beautiful day, I had no plans beside the softball game which I never played in, (if I wanted to get home fast I would have driven my car) and wanted to ride home a little slower to enjoy all that I missed in my mad rush to make it into town on time.

We all have just one life to live. I understand how showing up for prior engagements is crucial, but I feel we don’t take the time to stop and smell the roses along the way. In fact, I feel everyone is in such a rush for tomorrow; they have yet to even notice the rose bushes around us today. So I may be forever running late on time, but at least I know I will not have sacrificed any life for it in the end. You should not revolve around time; this I believe!