Lauren - Healdsburg, California

Believe

People do not realize what they have until something is missing, this I believe. The anesthesia began to wear-off, and my eyes began to open. When my eyes had finally opened, I found myself laying in a hospital bed. When I realized that my leg was propped up in the air, and I had an oxygen mask over my face, I knew I was in for a long road. Two long days, six screws, and three scars later i was headed home.

As I arrived home and tried to get out of my car with one leg I realized that life was going to be a lot harder then it had been. With my mom by my side I made my way to my home away from home, the recliner. Just trying to sit down took three times longer then usual. I got so frustrated everyone doing everything for me.

Everyone had headed off to work and I was left alone. I was dying of thirst and my glass was empty. I looked at the clock, it was only ten o’clock. Great, only seven hours before the first person would arrive home to help me. I couldn’t wait seven hours to get something to drink, so I decided to do it myself. I grabbed my crutches and began to make the long, grueling, journey to the kitchen. After what seemed like an hour I had finally made it to the cupboard that housed the cups. I carefully reached up and grabbed a cup. Now the hard part came, getting the cup to the refrigerator. I gripped the cup with two fingers and help on with all my strength. I was half-way there and felt the cup slipping. I took one more step and the cup fell to the ground. All I wanted was to be able to pick up the cup and continue my journey to get something to quench my thirst. The cup was so far away, and as i bent down to try to pick it up i felt myself falling. I knew if i fell my mom would kill me. I was so frustrated at this point that i didn’t even want to try to get another cup and do it again. Admitting defeat, i made my way back to my recliner. I sat there for the next seven hours waiting for someone to get home so that i could get something to drink. It was at this moment that i became so aware of how much people take for granted.

No one stops to think what their day would be like if they only had one leg, or one arm. It is the moments that you don’t have these things that really open your eyes. This is how i came to believe that people don’t realize what they have until it is missing.