Kathleen - healdsburg, California

I believe it is my mission in life to help others, to do something small that has a great effect. I know that I will travel a great deal in order to learn as much as I can about this planet and about the people who inhabit and their different cultures. I believe that I must live my life to its fullest extent. I do not know what I am capable of achieving yet, but I am determined to make a difference for the better for others.

I read an article that inspired me very much. It was about George McGovern. He ran for president in 1972. He lost, but has not given up doing what he believes in. He has seen many things in his lifetime, including being a World War ll bomber pilot, and has fought his whole life to end World Hunger. He recently spoke at Analy High about taking action to help. He said it would take $5 billion a year to fund a global school lunch program to feed children all over the world, while the Iraq War costs $1 billion a week. “If I were president, I’d do it in the next five weeks”. He has not given up his dream, and is “thinking” about running for this year’s presidential election. He has a very slight chance of winning, however, he is following his heart and taking a chance.

I want to fight for what I believe in and what I want to make happen in this world. I think people are scared. They are scared to try new things, scared to succeed, and scared to fail. When I try new things it creates new opportunities for me. It helps me to make choices that will benefit my life and to pursue my dreams and goals. I am sometimes scared at failing things for I think that if I fail, I let myself and others down. I am learning that when I fail it is not a lost opportunity, but that a new opportunity has arisen. When I succeed it is a greater strength to pursue my next goal.

I have personal, selfish, foolish, wonderful, and giving goals. My personal goals are to travel around the world to see as much of it as I can, to see all the different cultures, towns, villages, and countries as possible. I have foolish and selfish goals; I want to save up enough money so that I can go on a huge shopping spree and buy all I want to. I also have wonderful and giving goals. I want to teach children and adults what I experience and have taken from the world. I want to help to end hunger, create peace, stop trashing our planet, and create a life for myself that matters.

It is my mission in life to help others, to do something small that has a great effect, this I believe.