Kristina - Aurora, Illinois

Making the wrong way right!

I am part of a growing statistic in our country. I am a young single mother. My son’s father and I are still together and I do have a strong support system, but I have not followed the “Right path.” Almost two years ago my boyfriend and I thought it would be a good idea if we had a baby, “People get married and divorced all of the time, but if we had a baby we would be together forever.” What can I say except that it sounded very romantic at the time. So almost ten months later Aiden Alexander arrived. I’m not going to sugar coat this, my pregnancy was really rough, I spent most of it alone and crying, you see he was my only family in state and he wanted to enjoy these last few months before he had to grow up. All I could think was what about me, what about this baby growing inside of me that you convinced me was going to be so much better for us? Everyone around me was telling me that I had options. You don’t have to and should go through with the pregnancy, but I knew that that would not be an option for me. So now I have my loving, spoiled, curious, active, beautiful baby and though the road has been hard I have tried to stay on path for my son, after all is the reason why we struggle and try so very hard for our children? Life has gotten a little easier but between going to school full time and raising my son and boyfriend (ha-ha) life can definitely be a struggle. I still wind up asking myself “Why me?” more often then I would like to admit, but then I look at my son and I know.