Robert - San Antonio, Texas

I believe that everyone needs a good challenge.

Most challenges can both have a negative outcome and a positive outcome. For example, many throughout history have felt the challenge to prove their superiority: on the negative end it can lead to such things as discrimination and wars, but on the positive side it can lead to self confidence and good long-term goals.

People need to have challenges that will have result in positive outcomes. When someone completes a good challenge they will be inspired to do more because they will see their success and want to triumph more.

When in middle school I challenged myself by competing in local academic science bowls during my seventh and eighth grade years. The competitions consisted of both a “jeopardy” style quiz bowl and a model car race. In addition to working and studying at home, my team, consisting of three of my peers and me, would meet at least once a week to build our model car and practice quizzing ourselves in order to prepare ourselves for the competition. Because of our hard work and determination we were able to easily win both years in both the race and the bowl. The challenge was positive because it offered a reward for winning: an all expense paid trip to compete in a National Middle School Science Bowl in Boulder, Colorado. Because of this challenge that was set before my team, we put in hard work and we were rewarded for it.

In 1961 President Kennedy set a challenge for the American government and the American people. He went before Congress and proposed that the American government set a goal for themselves to reach the moon before the end of the decade. The United States put its support behind NASA and its Apollo program and in 1969 Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first men on the moon. This day is one of the most important days in American history, and it all started from a challenge.

A challenge, in itself, can be a solution. Some people wonder, “How do we keep kids off the streets?” Give them a challenge. Challenge their minds with anything from music and art to politics and government. When a mind has a good challenge it tends to keep itself out of trouble.

The results of good challenges are all around us. People said that we couldn’t fly and the Wright brothers did it. Cures for many diseases have been and are being discovered every day. It took many tries for Edison to perfect the light bulb. These good challenges have changed the world, just in the last 50 years. I believe that the challenges that are before us today will soon be solved by those willing to accept the challenges. We will cure AIDS. We will solve the world hunger crisis. We will stop global warming. We will overcome these challenges and change the world.