Rodrigo - Golden, Colorado

I believe in taking the risk.

I suppose a time where I took a risk that got me in trouble was in the middle of an eighth-grade class, we were all done with a test and just sitting quietly. I said something random which seemed funny to most people. It broke the silence. The silence was shattered, and my safe zone was vulnerable. I wasn’t being quiet and staying out of trouble.

The risk wasn’t a big one, but I got in trouble.

This next risk is bigger in safety. My friend, Tony, and I aren’t the smartest or the safest people in the world, but we know when we need to up the anty. It was the three-day break in between the first blizzard and the second one that was coming. The air was bitterly cold and the streets were frozen from the below-zero weather. It was 10:22 p.m., and I said to Tony lets do something more fun instead of sitting and letting the seconds of our lives pass by. So, we bundled up and went to retrieve my sleds from the dark abyss of my basement.

We started off the steep downhill street, just sitting on the sleds. I lift myself to my knees, and then to my feet, going around the curves and dodging the ice blocks in the middle of the street. We did this seven times until Tony and I got a scare.

Tony was sledding down when a snowplow appeared from thin ice and Tony couldn’t stop, so he lunged off the sled and saved himself and my sled.

This sledding deal was a big risk for little people like Tony and I.

But the biggest hazard in my risk-taking life happened when I mailed my applications letter to a prestigious local Catholic high school. My K-8 school had been my safe house, the familiar faces and familiar education style and now high school is just the next flight of stairs I need to jump.

New friends, new teachers. But the biggest risk about high school is this: How is high school going to treat me, lead me, or live in me for the next four years?

My belief is only for those who are willing to take matters into their own hands. I wasn’t always a risk-taker. I would obey my parents or my elders, but then I got tired of it. I just believe if it’s worth the risk to get something, then take the risk. Nothing will ever be given to me for free. I have to earn it – by taking the risk.

This I believe.