Russell - Healdsburg, California

Chilling Out

I believe that the secret to happiness and well-being is to simply chill out. I believe this because by chilling out, people would lead more enjoyable lives and allow others to do the same. By “chill out” I don’t just mean to sit down and relax, I mean to respect your fellow man and to avoid causing or escalating conflicts or problems. I believe that the world has enough problems without people causing hate and anger, and life is too short for people to be angry at one another all the time. Once at school in P.E. class I witnessed a conflict that could have easily been avoided by someone simply chilling out. Two boys had just lost in a game of basketball and one started to criticize the other. The other boy told him to shut up and they began to argue over whose fault it was that they had lost the game. The argument turned into insults, the insults turned into pushing, and the pushing turned into a fist-fight. When the fight ended the two boys walked away hating each other over a basketball game. The boys where left with no satisfaction of hurting each other, only bruises. They had proved nothing and gained nothing and ended up feeling worse than they did before. If one of them had simply calmed down and thought about the situation, they could have just walked away without a fight and been much happier for the rest of the day. These conflicts start when people let their emotions take control of them, and they usually end up making things worse for themselves and others. I have seen many conflicts in school that could have easily been avoided by one person saying “Sorry, my bad” and walking away. This can also be applied to global issues. If everyone in the world chilled out and decided to respect one another the world would have very few problems. Without violence, hate, and anger the world would have more time to focus on more important problems like disease, poverty, and global warming. If all people felt grateful for the life they have been given and used it in the best way possible, they would enjoy themselves more make everyone else’s life better. If everyone had the guts to admit their mistakes, respect their fellow man, and help make things better the world would be a much better place to live. I believe all this can be achieved by chilling out.