Franklyn - Martinsville, Indiana

I believe in faith. Like many others in our world, faith plays a role in my life. It doesn’t necessarily mean religion though. Faith just means “daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see.” Faith in ourselves, faith in others, faith in God, and faith in our own ability to get through.

Several years ago my teenage cousin was killed in a hunting accident near the woods in my hometown. Many in my town and community wondered why it happened. Some said God’s will, others said fate, and some claimed the freak accidents of nature that no one can fully explain. None of those explanations suited me; I needed to feel like there was purpose to life and that we aren’t just here to die. That’s when I realized that faith isn’t just something said and done in religion, it’s what happens when we allow ourselves the courage to carry on despite the conditions we’ve been handed.

I used to think that I could do it on my own. Though I am only 20, I realize that I am a part of a grander work in the world. I lean on the support and encouragement of my parents, my friends, my family, and my own spiritual understanding. St. Paul says “we see through a glass darkly.” Maybe he isn’t using Dawn dish soap, but I would like to think that it’s our hope and faith that allow us to overcome the obstacles in our life, and to move forward to a greater understanding of life’s many mysteries.

Maybe that’s what faith is; allowing us to struggle and fight our way to a deeper truth. Often times, I wonder how I would make it from day to day, had it not been for the hope that tomorrow is a new day. In the grand scheme of things, faith offers us a chance to see our world as it should be, and affords us the power and time to start the change.