Rebecca - Colleyville, Texas

As children, we believed that all of our problems (most of them anyways), could be diluted if not solved by some technological outlet broadcast through our cable boxes. And who could have blamed us? We’re love children of the first real technological revolution in 50 years, and though some might turn up their upper-crust noses at our dependency on that four-lettered suffix, ‘.COM,’ I would have to aruge against technology’s alleged disatrous results on our supposed Play-Do morals.

Television for me was an outlet to the outside world. One could effectively aruge that the real revelation for us came when we were exiting the toddler stages, and realized that our hands were good for things other than causing mass chaos and stuffing peanut butter smeared saltines down our crusty throats. We could actually USE our 2-inch appendages to control those characters on our television sets through means of video games and primitive rectangle controllers hooked up to primitive rectangle game systems. And for this reason, I believe in the powers of Super Mario Bros.

The mission and message were similar: dodge the bad guys and stick with the good ones. I can’t say that jumping over a 6-foot man-eating piranha plant has really applied directly to my real-world conscious, but I can hardly think of an instance where I’m NOT dodging the bad guys and trying to better my world. Sometimes you made it, sometimes you didn’t, but as you played the game you became accustomed to the tricks and shortcuts that would make your journey easier. There were happy times, dark times, cold times, hard times and times where nothing could get you to the other side other than a running start, guts, and a little bit of luck. When things got really hard, you always had your bother to turn to. Money wasn’t necessary, but it made securing your livelihood a lot easier. When you couldn’t figure something out, checking out the hidden spots and looking at it in a way you hadn’t before got you a long way. There was hardly ever one way to do anything, but winning and losing in the game where two vastly different things.

Although culture can hardly be discussed in this generation without affixing that ugly three-letter prefix, POP, to the front, I refuse to raise my voice in surrender to the notion that we are incompetent, immature products of a generation whose inventions have done more harm than good, leaving us at a moral filibuster. We observe, we collect, we do, we improve on what we did, and we are. We were raised on caffeine, trans-fat, plastic and have correctfully (thanfully) adopted the notion that technology is a good, an improvement on who were are and a sign of who we are to come.

I think we all owe a warm ‘Thank you very much’ to the mustached little guy in red.