Dylan - Fort Worth, Texas
Themes: equality

Non-Racist country. That is what I believe. I believe that no matter what color you are, where you came from, we are all the same people. I come from a Mexican background. I am also full Mexican. Sometimes people make jokes that are applied to the Mexican people. The things offend me and the culture that I was born into. Every time something breaks it’s always, “your Mexican, fix it.” The may be jokes, but are contribution to the barrier that is racism. Our society must become aware and stop these habits. The change must start now. If we do not learn to fix our problems that contribute to racism then we will never fix them. I have been studying history about what life was like for African-American people and also Hispanic people in the early days of our country. It was terrible the way we treated them. We set up rules that helped them as a community, such as voting and equality. The rules were made for a reason. They were made so that we could all be equal. To me those laws mean nothing to us. We constantly ignore them. As I am walking through the halls of my school I hear so many remarks that are putting down the different races. We all remember the devastating attack of 9/11. The people that did this terrible attack on our country were mostly Middle Eastern. Since that attack I hear so many things that our racist against Middle Eastern people. Now when they go to airports or any kind of big public place Middle Eastern people receive looks and they are assumed to be doing something suspicious. Just because a certain race does something terrible to us doesn’t mean we have to discriminate against the entire race. Something in history that comes to mind is the capturing of all Japanese Americans after the attack on Pearl Harbor. FDR decided to put this entire race away from the beaches and coast line in fear that they might be loyal to there former country. This was an act of discrimination and should have never happened. We call our country the “land of opportunity,” but how is that so when discrimination still exists. It’s so hard for a black or Hispanic man to run for president or get high in society. We are in the year 2007 and it’s been so long since segregation has been abolished, yet racism is still alive. When will the day come where racism doesn’t against? Maybe never, but as Martin Luther King Jr. said “I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal.”