Martin - Arlington, Texas

I believe that students today are under more pressure than students of yesterday. My parents have no idea what it is like to be a senior at a Catholic school that expects nothing but greatness from their students. My parents never went to college. They had to work so hard to get where they are today. They could do this because they had a drive that told them to do it. I tell them everyday that I have to go to college if I’m going to make it in life. I’ve gotten into many colleges, but my parents want me to go to a community college. School today is different. There are more papers, more homework, more everything and very little time to do it in. This all adds to a very high stress level that rarely ever goes down. Some nights I feel like I’m going to have a heart attack, because I’m up so late due to a paper, and I want to sleep, and I can’t fall asleep until I finish it. I live on energy drinks. I have to make energy drink run every hour or so just to stay awake so I can work. My Mom would always tell me, “Marty, I never had as much homework as you do right now”, and I would just say, “Mom you have no idea” My parents would yell at me for getting a zero on a Pre-Cal homework assignment. They would just ask me, “Marty, you have a study hall, why don’t you do it then”, and I would reply “That is where I catch up on my sleep”. I only get about 4 hours of sleep a night. They act like that’s nothing and that I’m being over dramatic.

Pre-Cal is a foreign language class to me. My Mom only took Algebra 2. That is an easy class now. I can grasp that, but all this cosine, sine, tangent, stuff is confusing me and you don’t really get a real answer, just another formula. School is tough now. You have to learn how to sleep, eat, and learn. There is so much more expected out of you now. I just want to sleep and have fun. Mostly sleep, because I’m tired. I believe I need a break, some-where to get away from it all, some-where to just relax, and not be stressed out about a project or a paper or some other trivial thing that I know I won’t be concerned with in 20 years. I believe students need a break from it all.