Michaela - keller, Texas
Themes: freedom

I believe in freedom, freedom in everything. The freedom of speech, the freedom, of religion, and the freedom of choosing your own path in life. Life is made up of choices. If we did not have freedom to choose what we wanted, what kind of life would that be? to be told that I am not allowed to choose my own husband or career would not leave me much hope for my future and enjoyment. That is were I am glad to be an American. I enjoy my freedom daily. I say what I wish, without having to worry about the consequences. Even though I live in a country that is based on freedom, I still feel oppressed. this time its not by authorities, but the restrictions that other people, my peers, have set on me.

There really is no such thing as true freedom, if you really think about it. In America, we may have more freedom than other countries. We maybe able to do more things, enjoy more opportunities, but if you narrow it down and look at it from a day to day life, you can see the restrictions we put on not only ourselves but each other. We judge too quickly. If you act a certain way or look a certain way, you have to measure up to the standards that people have made up. And we all seem okay with that. Being rich and famous is not happiness, having expensive things to parade around doesn’t give you friends. In fact, everyone believes that our society is the right way to live, but is it?

My parents have got this idea that kids these days are up to no good. I feel as though I’m being punished for a crime I haven’t committed. While my friends are out having fun or enjoying their “freedoms”, I’m stuck at home forced to do cores or engage in some family game that I have long outgrown and have lost all interest in. Not only do I feel caged at home but also at school. Teachers buckle me down with homework and tests. so even if I do have some time for myself I spend it working on projects or studying. school isn’t fun for me anymore. It’s no longer an adventure. Friends turn on you, teachers get angry at you for not being quiet, and the deans punish you for tardys. What is enjoyable about school? How can I enjoy school, when I’m having to worry about getting to class on time, hoping I got my homework all done, and reviewing over and over in my head making sure I didn’t forget anything else that might be important.

Maybe I’m taking it to far. Maybe I’m blowing this out of proportion. But everyday new restrictions are made, new expectations are set up, and you have to live up to them or else. Everyday a new link is added to my chains, weighing me down. I feel as if I can not get up. Pressure is put on me, till I feel I may explode. Thankfully, I do have someone to lean on, even with their help, I still feel as if I’m not able to show people who I really am. I keep trying to be the perfect student, the perfect daughter. I know I’m not the only one. I may succeed in some areas of my life, I’m always reminded that I have failed in many other parts. Maybe that is why there are so many people that are depressed, because they cannot be what other people want them to be. Who they are, is not what society accepts. An alarm is going off in my head, as I look at society and the way we live. And I know there is something terribly wrong, but I don’t know how to fix it and I wish I could set things right.