Shimarah - Arlington, Texas

I believe in alone time. I believe in getting away from the pandemonium that is life, shutting yourself in a room for hours, and blasting the music of your choice through your headphones. Let’s face it- sometimes people are just overrated. I cannot tell you how many times I have sat at home on a Saturday night with no companionship except my cat, and whined about having no life. When I finally do get plans, I wish I were sitting on my couch eating chocolate in my pajamas, preferably listening to whatever lyrics happen to accurately describe my mood that day. I’m not antisocial, just easily irritated at times. However, music that I voluntarily listen to has never irked me. Music does not contradict or interrupt me. It is not hypocritical and if the band members happen to wear shorts that are thirty sizes too large and not wear a belt, exposing their boxers to the point that they may as well not wear shorts at all, then that’s fine with me because at least I don’t have to see it. Music always knows what I want and somehow always feels the same way I do…probably because I’m the one in charge of the CD’s and the radio dial.

I believe in collecting my thoughts while I stare blankly at my ceiling. I believe in going outside and laying in my backyard every now and then. I think thoughts I never knew I had the capability to. After all, there’s really nothing to compete with outside. My mind can wander free from judgment and free from the constraints of comparison to others’ seemingly superior opinions. I can think in silence with only the sounds of nature (and the occasional car horn) as my soundtrack.

Alone time allows me to form my own opinions unadulterated by outsiders. It allows my already huge and quite odd imagination to grow, and be all I need in that moment. For some reason I can tolerate the oddity of my own imagination more than I can tolerate the ignorance of some people. It allows me to recognize my own stupidity and be content with it. I feel as if I am making the world a better place simply by subjecting the inanimate objects around me to my stupidity rather than my peers. Maybe if more people felt the same, the world would be easier to live in.

Me time is just that…time for me to be in charge of whatever happens without having to rely on others to make me happy, sad, or anxious. Dare I say there is no better feeling than knowing that I am in charge of my own emotions. There is no better use of my time than when it’s spent with just me, my headphones, and maybe a chocolate or twenty. This I believe.