Rohitkumar - Grand Prairie, Texas

As I pace through the halls of Parkland Memorial Hospital, I can remember the tears on the floor, the emergency flares screaming, and room 707. I remembered the tears I shed and the sights I saw for two years and then I remembered my dad, a small, frail, and helpless looking man lying there on the bed with his eyes closed. I walked through the door and stepped into a different time and world itself. I saw people standing around waiting. I then heard…

“I’m sorry, there’s nothing more we can do,” said the doctor in a tone of complete apathy. Still, all I could hear was “I don’t care for him and one life lost is nothing.” I was angered, and couldn’t understand how a human being could even speak those words. I couldn’t help but cry, hearing that my father was about to pass away because two harebrained doctors said they couldn’t save his life. Was one man’s word enough to give up a man’s life? I didn’t think so.

I ran toward the doctor, yelling at him to do something to cure my dad. I grasped his feet and didn’t let them go. I wanted to have a dad growing up. Only twelve years old, I couldn’t imagine life without him. I told the doctor, “How can you just say there is nothing left and give up? He’s my dad! ” My mom tried to pull me away from his feet, but I was not about to let go.

She demanded a second opinion. An hour later, the new surgeon gave me words of solace, “Your dad’s going to be alright.” Yet at the moment, true progress was the only thing that was going to comfort me was recovery and progress.

After a few days, my dad was going into surgery. All I could do was hope. It was my desire that got him this far and stopping the doctors now would be no use. After he came out of surgery, the surgeon gave me a wink and I knew that he was fine. I felt as if a great I had achieved something more than saving my dad’s life. Everyone should have an opportunity to stay alive and feel that they are respected and wanted in this world. Doctors shouldn’t just consider patients as cases, or give up on a person. I believe that you have to be persistent and that giving up isn’t ever going to help you.