Chantel - Norfolk, Virginia

Live each day as if it were your last

I remember like it was yesterday, but it wasn’t. It was last year when my sister was diagnosed with cancer. I was at school when I received that awful call, the call that changed my life forever. My brother in law was at the other end of that phone crying, when I asked him what was wrong, he told me. There was nothing I could do but cry, get angry and pray.

My sister whom I called my twin was dying of stomach cancer and there wasn’t anything that I could do. I basically dropped everything and ran to her bedside in New York. That week, I spent with her will stay in my heart for the rest of my life. We were both happy to see each and I tried to make her last days as happy as possible. When it was time for me to return home, I really didn’t want to but I had to. We talked almost everyday until she started getting worse and couldn’t talk anymore. I felt that I was abandoned by God that he wasn’t listening to me begging and pleading not to take her. We really don’t know how to handle a situation until it happens and where faced with it. That was the hardest thing I ever had to do, let my sister go. But I had no choice in the matter.

As if the devil would have left it like that and move on to someone I didn’t know but he didn’t. I was faced with death a second time later that year. My best friend was diagnosed with cancer and I had to deal with the pain and reality all over again. She was really brave because she knew for a while and never told me. While she was in the hospital, she never made it look that bad. She would always say things like “see you when I get home” or “I’m coming home soon”. When I realized the truth it was too late. I prayed, screamed, yelled, and cried but nothing happened. There I was forced a second time to let her go as well. They say time heals all wounds but I don’t believe it. Even though there gone, they will never be forgotten.

From those two experiences, I believe that we should always take time and smell the roses. Basically that statement means that even though our lives are busy, we shouldn’t take for granted the little things in our lives. I really miss the little quiet times with both of them. The long walks and the terrific talks; there guidance and there love. Life is not promised to anyone and there are no guarantees. So I say live each day as if it were your last. Make everyday count and never forget the little things.