Treyton - Healdsburg, California

I have been exposed to hunting my whole life. Two months after I turned nine I enrolled in a hunter safety class. At the end of he class when they were calling the names of people who had passed, my heart stopped every time they didn’t say my name. As it turned out my name was to be the third to last name called. I was so nervous that they wouldn’t call my name that when they finally did it felt as if the weight of world was lifted off my shoulders. That night when I got home I wanted to play a little trick on my mom and say that I had failed the test, but when I got into her room to tell her the “bad” news, I couldn’t suppress my smile. I gave it away and she didn’t even have to ask.

Hunting can be a form of meditation for some people like myself and it can also be a way just to get away from things. When you hunt there is a since of calm until something fly’s in close and you raise your call to your mouth and blow. You can feel the call’s deep rasping bark thought your body. Then when the bird flies close your heart starts to race and your calling with no hands, the call just hanging in your mouth. Your hands on your shotgun. Then when the duck is in close you drop your call and rise up on the bird and shoot. If the bird fall’s from the sky there is no greater since of pride and if you missed and the bird flew away there might be a short spell of cursing. Then your anger will disappear and that since of calm returns.

Once the season is over I immediately miss it. Some days I will find myself scanning the sky for a duck imagining myself in our blind with calls and my gun. All it takes to remind me of hunting is a spot of mud on the ground or a bird setting up to land wings fluttering. All it takes is just a small little Tully to make me want to go hunting again.

Hunting can also be a way to get to know new and good people. For example I met the 49ers ex head coach Mike Callahan through hunting. My grandpa once said, “Most hunters are honest people that do honest work for a living.” He is right. I don’t know how this came to be but most hunters are good honest people.

When most people go hunting they don’t just go for the hunt. They go to hang out with friends and family members. My cousins and my grandpa hunt at a different spot but we see each other every weekend for a dinner party. These times are fun because I hardly ever see my family. When we aren’t at my grandpa’s hunting club we at ours. We rent a trailer about twenty minutes outside of Colusa. There my dad has friends and I have friends. When were not hunting were always having a good time in good company.

Hunting has been a human tradition since the beginning of time. Humans have always hunted. We needed to, to survive. In my opinion hunting is the longest and one of the finest tradition ever to be known to man. This I believe.