Sarah - Windsor, California
Themes: purpose

I believe in karma. Ever since I was a little girl my mother said that karma was something that I needed to believe in, if you didn’t then it would come back and bite you in the butt. I used to think she taught me this to keep me from getting in trouble, but now I am a believer. I believe that karma is some form of luck. It has a disguise of being a horrible accident but in the end helps you to realize something. Just the other day I went to see a show and the minute I walked out of the theater I saw my mom’s friend trip over a stone and almost fall. Now to me this was hilarious and I was laughing my head off. No more than 2 seconds later I tripped over a stepping stone and almost fell smack on my face. When this happened, the first thing that popped into my head was karma.

I believe that everyone reasons in some form of karma, whether it is luck, fate, chance or destiny. We all believe in these things because it gives us a reason for the unbelievable actions that happen to us in our daily lives. Every unspoken coincidence or every unforgotten occurrence gives us something to think about. Karma is also a way for reasoning the impossible. Imagine a little boy who is a big bully and never is nice to anyone. Then on Christmas morning his mother and father got him the bike he had always wanted. Right after opening it the little boy takes his new bike and rides down the street, but as he goes to turn he trips over a tennis ball that had rolled out in front of him and breaks his new bike. After this his parents went off and got him an ice-cream cone. When the little boy finally gets up he finds out that the tennis ball had belonged to a freckled faced boy who he has been picking on for the last 2 years. There are a lot of ways to look at this situation. The first is that it was fate that this little boy had been knocked off of his bike otherwise he wouldn’t have gotten an ice-cream cone. Or you could say that it was luck that the little boy hadn’t broken his bone. You could even say that it was destiny for this little boy to get a new bike that breaks for all of the bullying that he has done to other little kids. In my mind this is karma, the kind of karma that is common in our daily lives. Karma is one thing that will always be in my mind along with my heart, and its all because of astonishing things that happen to us daily.