Andrea - Portsmouth, Virginia

I believe that faith as small as mustard seed, that God will not give you more then you can handle.

Being sixteen and getting ready to receive my dads’ kidney I was telling the doctors I would not have any rejections. My dad not being a very good match, the hospital needed to get permission to give me medicine that was still in the experimental stage. I had the faith that God would give me this kidney and I would not reject it. Twenty years later and no rejections, but the kidney had lived its life and was starting to die. I began crying from the doctors’ office, it wasn’t until I was almost home that I realized the car I had been following all the way, that their licenses plate had read TRUNHIM. At that moment I realized that I had nothing to worry about.

The next few years I was on a very strict diet along with more medicine. The doctors were preparing me for dialysis while I was doing the work ups to see if I was healthy enough to even receive another kidney. My husband was in the military at the time and things can move pretty slowly in the clinics. It took me a little over a year to find out that

I had the green light to get on the very long list for a new kidney. My little sister called me when I found that I needed a new kidney she wanted me to have one of her kidneys. My sister and I had always been close, but I could never ask her to donate her kidney. She is very stubborn and had called the transplant clinic to find out how to go about donating to me. She did the work ups and found that she was a great match for me.

The big day came and I was so worried I would lose my sister under the knife, trying to give her big sister the greatest gift any one could give, the gift of life. Everything went great, and three years later I am doing great and not one rejection.

Faith has brought me along ways since the renal shut down and I am sure I will be alright. Thank-you God, Dad and Paula for the gift you have given me.