Zachary - Healdsburg, California

This I believe

Sometimes I wish school was more like kindergarten. Not that I want to learn my ABCs again, but I would like to see my classmates treat each other better. When we were little, everybody played with everybody. We didn’t judge each other because of our clothes, our hairstyle, or our skin color. Beginning in junior high, I began to notice how mean and self-absorbed people can be in the world. There are classmates who really don’t care about you or your friendship, but rather use you like an old toy, which they take out only when they have nothing else to do. That’s one thing that really bothers me – how one day you can be friends with someone, but then the next day they act like you don’t even exist. They act like you are their friend as a last resort because there is no one else to talk to and they don’t want to be alone. I also hate it when I see kids picking on other kids just because they’re different from them.

I believe that if students could stop judging each other, it would make school a better place. It would definitely help kids at my school, especially those who feel left out. You know, the kids who are always eating lunch alone or sitting by themselves. I believe I’m tired of hearing news about kids shooting their classmates. The story always seems to be the same. The kids who were picked on killed those at school who bullied them. If kids would just treat each other with respect, I believe there would be less school violence.

I believe that if all the people in the world would listen to each other, the world would be a better place. It could even stop huge conflicts like war and racism. I believe that by understanding other beliefs and ideas, people would lose their fears and could quit hating others just because they’re different. We wouldn’t have to hear everyday how many people were killed in Iraq or slaughtered in Sudan. I believe we just need to listen to each other and respect our differences.

I believe if just one student would listen to another student today, it would begin to create a better school. I believe if just one person would listen to another person today, it would begin to create a better world. I believe it starts with me.