Brinda - Healdsburg, California

I believe in the power of one person. Our actions can be responsible for a simple smile or frown or they can contribute to saving a life. Whether we work in a hospital or do not have a job at all you can still save at least one life, and the lesson you learned from that person will stay with you forever, I know mine will.

My friend, that many would classify as almost me exact opposite, had confided in me countless times about his self hate, but one night he told me he was going to end his life and this time he meant it. Many times he had told me about this thought but I had simply convinced him and myself to dismiss it for he could not be truly serious but this time he was really serious and I knew I had to do something, for if I did not then no one else would. I knew that I was the only one he told about such thought and no one else would know besides me, until it was too late so my instinct was to act fast before the time passed me by. I finally convinced him not to go through with it tonight and I wrote an e-mail to a teacher at my school about him. The next day he was called out of class to talk to his counselor. He later called me that afternoon knowing what I had done and he was angry but I knew that I had done the right decision because he was still alive. A few days later he forgave me for my injustice. Although our friendship has not completely reached the same height of trust in one another that it had before I know that it will and now I truly believe that any one, even a simple high school student has the power to save a life, even if it is just a simple click of the send button for an e-mail and a few short words.