Hillary - Cooper City, Florida

I Believe Love is the Strongest Emotion in Life

Love is a process. I’ve fully experienced it throughout my sixteen years of life. I’ve been a victim of bad relationships over the years which contained superficial love and drama. I never thought I would ever fall in love until now. I believe that love is the strongest emotion in life.

My long and winding road of bad relationships started in elementary school. I understand that those don’t really count, but my relationship with this boy became the foundation of our long-lasting friendship. I actually thought I loved him, naïve as I was, and believed I was going to marry him. Obviously, it did not work out. I then started dating another boy in sixth grade. I thought he was the greatest boy alive and I became unrealistic and obsessed. We dated for seven months without so much as a hug in the hallway. I found out he did not really like me and I was devastated. We broke up and I remained single until my sophomore year with the mentality that I hated boys. That was before I met *Eli.

I met Eli in my Hebrew High School. I found out that he lived in my neighborhood, we had common interests, and he had a great sense of humor. I thought he was the perfect boy and his only fault was that he went to a different school. We started dating a month later. The first month went by quickly. I realized three weeks later that we had dated too soon. I noticed he was using me to fill the void his family left. He started to scare me because he expected so much from me. I finally made the decision that he needed to work out his own problems first before having a relationship with anyone, so I broke up with him. It was extremely messy. He was crazily devastated and I was angry that he would treat me the way he did. We still don’t talk to each other. A while after we broke up I realized I seriously cannot stand boys and I would not date until after the summer. Then an old friend, *John, came back into my life as easily as he had gone out of it months before.

John and I have been friends for years and he became my number one confidante. He has asked me out numerous times, but I’ve always turned him down for fear of what it might do to our friendship. After summer camp last summer, I told him I wanted to go our separate ways. This lasted for four months, which included the silent treatment, until I broke up with Eli. Little did I know that John and I would soon be dating. Because of our strong friendship foundation, John and I have an amazing relationship. We talk about everything and are there for each other in every way. I am not afraid to be myself in front of him because I know he will love me, despite my quirks. The love I have for him is deeper than I could have imagined and I cannot even think about being with anyone else. John is the most wonderful boy on Earth and I am the luckiest girl to be with him.

This wonderful renewed love has taught me a lesson. There is no such thing as love at first sight. It is a process that needs time and a strong foundation. Once you attain that foundation and really begin to love, that feeling is hard to break and overcomes your entire being. This is why I believe love is the strongest emotion in life. As Christian in Moulin Rouge says, “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is to love, and be loved in return.”