Devon - Windsor, California

Underclassmen Rudeness

When I was freshman in a high school, I didn’t dare walk through senior court, make eye contact with any of the senior girls, or try to get attention from any senior guy. That’s how all of the underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) were, they never dared to disobey or disrespect the seniors and their higher rank in the social caste of high school.

Now as a senior myself, I have noticed a huge disappointing change in the underclassmen. Not only do they not care for tradition or school spirit, but they are flat out rude to the seniors, something I never imagined I would see in my high school career. I have noticed though that the underclassmen aren’t only rude in the hallways at school, but they have taken it to a whole new level, high school athletics.

I am a varsity softball player and have been all of high school, I gained my spot on the field and in the batting order by proving to my coach that I was and am better at my spot than any of the other girls. I realized that I had to fight to play and I feel I need to continuously prove myself even though my spot is set. Now the sophomores that are on the team are a different story. For some reason they feel since they made varsity as a sophomore their spot is just given to them, so they don’t work had, they talk back to their senior team captains when they are trying to give them advice, they lollygag around at practice and when the coach finally yells at them they roll their eyes and uncaringly don’t respond.

Don’t get me wrong, not all the sophomores are like that on my team or on any team for that matter, but when your varsity team consists of four seniors, two juniors, and seven sophomores, it’s more than likely that one or two rotten eggs, so to say, will show up in the crowd.

I have a problem with one of these said “rotten eggs” that are on my team. Her problem is that she is the rudest of them all, the queen of the rotten egg kingdom, she even talks to back to our coach which, trust me, is a BIG no-no. So one day she cut it close to being late to practice because she was standing in the hallway making out with her boyfriend, so I called her on it. I was polite and told her to try not to cut it so close to practice time because no one on the team wants to run for her (running is our punishment for practically everything). Her response to me, a senior and a team captain, “I don’t know what you’re talking about, I didn’t cut it close at all,” said in the snottiest, don’t speak to me voice. I was stunned and said, “Yes, you are cutting it close, so don’t do it again.” This time she didn’t even respond, it was a roll of her eyes and a toss her of hair and she just walked away from me. That move put her on the bottom of my list and she still continues to this date to be lackadaisical at practice and roll her eyes whenever anyone tries to help her improve her game.

As a senior looking back over the last four years of high school I never would have imagined that underclassmen would get so out of hand and come to be so rude to their “elders.” It is tradition for upperclassmen to always be right even if they are wrong when they are talking to an underclassman, for a senior to be looked up to by underclassmen, and pretty much for underclassmen to openly fear seniors, yet secretly envy them. As the years go by underclassmen have lost sight of what it truly means to be an “under”classman and I believe they need to get their attitudes in check, and regain that sight rather quickly.