Robert - Blue Springs, Missouri
Themes: Christianity

God Offers Me a Destiny

I believe that God speaks to me and offers me a Destiny even though I choose not to listen and look the other way. There have been many others before me Abraham, Moses, Joan of Arc and knowing their stories and lives leads me to turn and run. Even though I know and understand Scripture that one day the world will “beat their swords into plowshares”; (Isaiah 2:4) I can’t help but feel the dilemma my Soul experiences when I get up every day to make the swords.

One day, in the spring of 2003, I was Praying in a small Catholic Church in the town of Fort Ashby, WV. It was on a Friday after work and I often went there to relinquish the stress of the work week and spend my time with God in the Presence of the Blessed Sacrament.

Most of the time I sat in a certain area of the Church where I could look out the window from time to time while I was conversing with God; however, this particular Friday, I decided to sit in a different pew. I had been contemplating a job offer in Kansas City, MO. I was having a successful career as an engineering manager with a defense contractor in West Virginia and had an opportunity with the same company in Kansas City, MO.

As I sat there and contemplated my options to stay where I was at or uproot my family and “Go West,” I reached out in the pew pocket in front of me and pulled out a baseball card. As I turned it over I was shocked to and mortified to see that it was Bret Saberhagen the Cy Young award winner of the Kansas City Royals. That evening I came home and told my wife and young children that we were moving.

My career flourished in Kansas City and I continued my education and attended a Jesuit University to get my MBA; however, I was not sure that God didn’t have other plans for me. I still have my career with a defense contractor but I woke up one morning knowing that I would rather feed people then help create ways to destroy them. My current career gives me Honor and Pride to help support the men and women whom voluntarily serve this great Country; however, I believe that to fulfill my Stewardship to society with the talents that I have been given that I’ll follow the path that God is directing me towards and become a Social Entrepreneur.