Kimberly - Chelmsford, Massachusetts

When I was in elementary school I remember going through best friends like outfits. There was a new “best friends forever” every week. Sometimes friendships can be forced, fake and almost store brought. Though once I got into 5th grade, I met a friend who I ended up staying close with for a long time. I had the mind set for 7 years that I would that I would know this person for the rest of my life.

At about year six, things started to change. She started to change. She started to make mean comments about our friends and I if what we were talking about had nothing to do with her. She became constantly mad at me for reasons I never knew and took her anger out on me when I tried to help. That year it took a new true friend and a lot of long realization of other people as well as myself to figure out this is not what friendship is supposed to be. Friendship is not lies, deceit, jealousy and anger based on spite. I believe friendship is trust, companionship, motivation towards each other, courage and all emotions that give you the feeling you have a purpose. Whether that purpose is just to be a friend or the strength they give you that you’re able to accomplish something in your life.

My next closest friend, a girl who in middle school was just more of an acquaintance, is the one who ended up being by my side as our other friends faded away. We started to talk more as we got into our sophomore year of high school. Though it wasn’t until junior and senior year we realized that most of our friends weren’t as nice as her and I. We realized we were better friends to each other than our so called friends were to us. I never would have thought that the only other girl in my 7th grade math strategies class that didn’t have a warrant out for their arrest, would end up rooming with me for college.

Senior year we decided that we wanted to go to college together and ended up both getting into Salem State , where we will attend this coming fall. I feel much better about college since we will be going through it together. We always talk about how we’re afraid of taking new classes, but that quickly get cleared up with ideas of how cute our dorm room is going to look.

It hasn’t been more than two months since I’ve left my bad friendship, but I’m now working on my new one. I’m still hesitant in situations, wondering if she’ll get mad if I call or am I talking about my boyfriend to much. But she reassures me I can call whenever I want and she’ll always be there to listen with an open mind. And she agrees that my boyfriend, who is one of her best friends as well, is a dork when he’d rather watch the Sci-fi channel than hang out with us.

Since I am older I understand a lot more about the people you will meet. Who you can trust and who you can’t trust. I realize that someone you get along with like a sister and accepts you for who you are is something hard to come by. I’m just glad that after all I’ve been through, at the end of the day I’ll cry on the shoulder of the one who truly cares. And that is something I believe could never be store bought.