Kevin - Brookfield, Illinois

I believe that people learn from their mistakes. My mistake happened about two months ago when I was involved in a car accident. Me and a few of my friends just finished playing basketball at a near by gym. We ran to the car to try to avoid the pouring rain as much as possible. We all jumped into the car as fast as we could and started heading home. The relief of being out of the rain and finally sitting down was amazing, so amazing that I let one thing slip my mind, putting on my seat belt.

As we continued home the car was silent because we were all so tired. We turned onto Maple Ave., which is the main street that leads to all of our houses. My friend driving remember that his mom had ask him to stop and the store and pick her up something before he came home from playing basketball. So he asked us if we wouldn’t mind going with him. We agreed that we could take fifteen minutes out of our day to go with him to the store.

When we told him that we would go with him he realized that we need to turn around and go the other way to the store. So being the person in our group of friends with probably the least common sense, he tried to make a quick turn down a side street to turn around. However, it was already too late to make the turn so when we did the car was already past the street and we road up the curb and smashed into the light pole.

I don’t remember much of the crash because I lost consciousness after he hit the pole. I suffered a slight head injury and damage to my lower back. I was taken to the emergency room where they released me a few hours later because the doctor said the injuries would heal themselves. However, the damage done to my lower back was enough to keep me out of school and locked in my house for the next couple of months.

Putting on my seatbelt is something I usually do right away when I enter a car. One of the very few times I didn’t put it on became one of the stupidest things I have ever done. However, I now know for sure that every time I enter a car the first thing I will do is put on my seatbelt. I have learned from my mistakes and that was one mistake that I will never make again.