Kelli - Sapulpa, Oklahoma

Trouble with Friends!

When I was a little girl,” my mom used to tell me to choose the right friends”.

She said,” if you hang around the wrong people it’ll get you nowhere in life.” Whether it was kids from school or just kids around my neighborhood, I needed friends that wouldn’t get me into deep trouble. I never really paid attention to what she said. I just hung out with whoever I wanted whenever I wanted.

I never really seemed to get in trouble overall I was a pretty good teenager. It wasn’t till this year that I actually understood what I was being told. See last summer I started to hang around the wrong people I guess cause I thought it was cool they were older and had cars! I would always come home from school and leave to go hang out with them, I felt bad I never helped my mom out with the kids I just left to do what I wanted to do.

One Friday evening after school my new friends and I decided to go to the mall and shop.

Which shopping was what we all loved to do! In order for me to get to go the mall I had to lie to my about who I would be going with. I told her I was having Casey’s dad pick me up at the end of the street and I would be staying with them for the night. Of course she believed me she did trust me.

So now I’m with my friends and we’re at the mall just doing what we do best shop! One of the girls was like,” ahhh look at that shirt I have to have it.” She knew she didn’t have enough money for it though. So she looked at me and asked if I would take it for her. At first I said no but she kept pressuring me into it I finally gave in. She said if I got caught she would take the blame. As soon I put the shirt into my bag and walked out of the store the alarm went off! I was so extremely terrified! My so called friend pointed at me and said that I was the one who stole.

I was so furious with angry and I felt betrayed. They all left without me I had to have my mom pick me up and pay for the shirt although I had to give it back. My mother was so disappointed in me that she couldn’t speak nor look at me. I don’t blame her I wouldn’t have either.

I called my fiend Casey later on that day and told her I was sorry for ditching her lately. It’s a good thing she’s a true friend I knew she would forgive me. I now understand why my mom is always telling me to choose the right friends. If you choose the wrong friends it really doesn’t get you anywhere but trouble.

Trust me I’ve learned from experience the hard way. Your parents really know what they’re talking about.