Adam - Grand Rapids, Michigan
Themes: carpe diem

You Only Have One

We all value certain things in our lives, and for me I value life. It’s weird to think about that question and to come up with the response that what I value most in life is in fact life itself. Everyday we all go through life and fail to value the important things like family and friends. Every night you may come home and think to yourself that you had a bad day, but you are still alive. You are probably way better off then some of the other people in the world and for those other people to have had a bad day they truly have had one.

The first incident that really made me appreciate and understand how important and good my life is occurred this fall. I was on my way to an East Grand Rapids vs. Catholic Central football game. I was driving when I saw something I never want to see later in my life. I watched a girl get hit by a car. My viewing on life is not matter what happens to me, it happens for a reason; you can’t change it so you just have to accept it and move on. As I watched that girl flip through the air and hit the ground I couldn’t imagine what she was going to think, but as I go back to before you can’t change what life throws at you. Life as we know it can change instantly so be thankful for what you have now.

I believe that we need to live life every day like it was our last. Every day my mom says things to me, make good choices, and be careful. Being careful is something I really don’t think about. Everyday I do things that could change my life in an instant. If I were to be hurt or even dead it would affect everyone in my life. I wouldn’t be able to enjoy being a father like I would’ve been able to before I got hurt. Ever since that accident every time my mom says “be careful,” it’s not just something I just disregard. I take that statement every time with a small grain of salt. My mom says that she would be broken and wouldn’t know what to do if any one of her kids died, and I truly believe she would. That is the last thing I want to do to her. I realize that we have one life to live, and that life I am going to live to the fullest, everyday. Everyone thinks of death and thinks that it is a bad thing, how I see it though, is that if you lived life to the fullest everyday, what makes death such a bad thing? I’ve come to the realization that death is going to come, and when it does, I know I will not be dissatisfied. Gandhiji once said, “Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever” and this I do believe.