Daniela - Wetson, Florida

The Emotive Force Called Music

With one resounding note, one blow into a saxophone, one strum of a guitar, and one breath before beginning a song, music can fill a room with sweet harmonies. Music is everywhere, from birds singing in the trees to the beeping of a cell phone. Call me crazy, but I often find myself harmonizing with the vacuum cleaner. If music were a living entity, it would be the world’s panacea. I truly believe that music has the power to elevate the spirit and heal.

Music has been a part of my life since I was in diapers. My sisters would always sing songs to me, and to this day take credit for introducing me to the world of music. I have participated in everything from choirs and quartets to solo work and musical productions.

In South Africa, my school’s choir was invited to perform at an AIDS benefit. We had the opportunity to sing with a famous band on live television, while promoting awareness about the deadly disease. To close the evening, we entered down different aisles of the theater holding candles. As we sent our message about AIDS across the nation, the burning flames illuminated the theater and brought the entire audience to tears.

Even from a young age, music has acted as my pacifier. When I was seven, I had an immense fear of ants. Yes, ants: those tiny six-legged creatures found crawling through your picnic basket and digging into your tuna sandwich. So in order to overcome my fear, I channeled the phobia into a song. It is said that writing out one’s emotions is therapeutic. Well, it definitely worked for me. With lyrics, “You’re so small you’re so tiny, but still I’m scared of you,” I learned to let ants pass by without a second thought.

In times of pure joy and utter sadness, music has always been there. I sing when I am happy and I sing when I am sad. Either way, the notes console me and make me feel at ease. There is simply no other way to describe it.

I have been through so many changes in my life, from adjusting to new schools to adjusting to a new continent. Although everything may change around me, the one thing that will always stay the same for me is my love for music. I know that no matter what happens in life, no matter which road I choose, music will forever be a part of me.

Just like a rollercoaster, music can lift your spirits to the sky, moments before relaxing you down to a calm and tranquil state. The feeling of complete elation knowing that I can touch people with my music proves to me just how powerful music truly is. Music can change a person’s life forever. This I believe.