Lily - Florida

“I believe in helping others.”

Since I was a child, I have been taught to always help others in need. Looking back at my personal experiences, I have learned that helping people in need is a vital part of life. With my belief I can leave the world a better place than I found it.

When I was ten years old, my mom took me to an old age home. Even though I did not want to go, my mom told me I had to because “it will be good for you,” she said.

I did not understand what she meant by that but I went. When I first entered the home, it was very depressing. My mother and I soon began to talk to a group of elderly people. Just this simple act of talking brought such joy to these people. I began to understand what my mother meant when she said, “it will be good for you,” and I realized that I had a passion for helping others. Giving to others gave me a great feeling, and the negative thoughts I had started my day with were gone and replaced by positive ones.

My mother is a philanthropist, and the most influential person in my passion for helping others. She has always shown me that the world is not perfect; and that there are many poor and hungry people who suffer every day, but that there is always something I can do to help. Many people are blind to the extent of the problems of poverty and hunger in our world. My mother has taught me that we as a people need to work and educate everyone about the poverty and hunger problems and concentrate on how we can help fix them.

Many say that if you help someone, you will be repaid with good fortune. I believe that every time I do a good deed, whether it is visiting children in distress or delivering holiday meals to immobile senior citizens, I always feel something good happen to me in return.

My mother inspired in me a passion to help others and maybe one day I will be a philanthropist too. Whether or not I do doesn’t matter because I will still always help those in need and help people all over the world. Everyone should join in helping others, even if only a little, so we can leave this world a better place.