keenan - sapulpa, Oklahoma
Themes: sports

Hard Work

Have you ever worked hard for anything? I have. Without hard work, you never get anywhere in life. You must work hard to be a good student, employee, and friend.

In my case, I had to work hard to be a better athlete. My experience with hard work is when I first started playing high school baseball. In the ninth grade I was the worst player on the baseball team. I remember we had gone half the season and I hadn’t stepped foot on the field yet. The day before our next game, my coach told us that we would have a double header. A double header is two games in a row, for those who don’t know. Anyway, since we were having a double header, my coach told us that everyone on the team would get to play. I was so happy! I was finally going to get to play!

I was on the bench the entire first game. The second game, we were winning by five runs. In the bottom of the last inning, my coach finally put me in. He sent me to right field. The game was going smooth. We were just one out away from a win. Then the ball was hit straight to me. I put my glove up, turned my body, and prepared to catch the ball. Well it didn’t go exactly as planned because the ball dropped right over my head to the ground. A run scored off of my error. Luckily, that run didn’t matter much. We eventually ended up winning the game, but I felt terrible afterwards.

After that game, I vowed to myself that when the summer rolled around, I would work hard to get better. I needed to work as hard as I could. I worked to get faster, stronger, and better. I had my friends hit me fly balls and I had them pitch to me.

By the time the next baseball season rolled around, I wanted to prove to everyone that I had gotten better. My teammates noticed that I had gotten better. They said “wow! I never saw you catch anything last year!” I was proud of myself and of all the hard work I put in.

I became passionate about hard work and I drove myself to be a better athlete. I’m still not the best ball player I can be, but I will continue to work hard and get better.