Cody - Sapulpa, Oklahoma

My Mind is an Open Book

Why do people shut out beliefs that aren’t there own? Their own beliefs are so ingrained in them, that they can’t accept anything else. I believe in staying open minded. Believing in this has helped me make many friends over the years.

I have believed in being open minded for as long as I remember. Being open minded, to me, means not judging people on the way they look, race, or their beliefs. A person cant help where they are born, or what they are raised to believe. Besides if everyone believed in the same things our world would be boring.

Usually a close minded person will not listen to a word you say about your opinions or beliefs. They think that their beliefs are the only ones. Close minded people are usually raised by close minded parents, and are taught that their way is right. Hitler was an example of a close minded person. He killed millions of Jewish people just because they believed differently from him.

Many times I have seen people made fun of, or talked about simply for the way they dressed or what they believe in. Some of this may just be human nature, but a most of it is just people with close minded people. Ask yourself the next time you are going to make fun of someone, “Why am I doing this?” If you do stop yourself, you may save someone a lot of pain.

If everyone in the world was open minded on beliefs, we would have a much more peaceful environment. We should all take the time and try to see the world through other people’s eyes. Just because a person believes differently than you do, doesn’t necessarily mean that they are wrong.

The point of this essay is to try and get more people to open their minds and embrace different beliefs, instead of shut them all out. This belief guides me through life everyday, and because of it I try to be less critical. When someone gives me their opinion I listen to them, when I give them my opinion I expect the same.