Patrick - Tulsa, Oklahoma

Use Your Time Wisely

Have you ever had someone tell you to use your time wisely? I know I’ve heard plenty of times, but I never really took it serious, until it was to me that time is to short and precious to be just wasted.

When I was young I always thought of my grandpa as the funny old tough guy. He had been through so much in his life, but he always would just keep going. After all the surgeries and the cancer we knew he wouldn’t be around to much longer, but to our surprise he stuck around.

A few years ago we had to go to the hospital. I wasn’t really sure what for, but I knew it was important. My grandpa had a heart attack and the doctor told my dad that only fifteen percent of his heart was functioning. Before this he had been through chemotherapy and it had really taken a toll on him. He was still pretty weak and tired from going through that, so this wasn’t helping him any.

When the hospital finally released him he was so weak that he couldn’t do anything on his own. He was so weak that he barely had the strength to eat. My dad stayed with him everyday, as long as he could and when he couldn’t, me or my brother would stay with him.

After all this my grandpa changed a bit. He seemed to be happier and he was nicer towards everyone, even the people he used to hate. The biggest shock to us was the fact that he wanted to go to church all of a sudden. This shocked us, because we had been trying to get him to come for along time. That Wednesday night we took him to church with us. My dad was sitting with him and a deacon asked, “Does anyone have a testimony to give?” My grandpa stood right up and said, “ I have given my life to God, and I would advise everyone to if they haven’t.” That was the best thing I’ve ever seen.

A few weeks later he died, but I know he was ready. He had gone through his whole life lost, but it wasn’t until the end that he made it right.