Lorilea - Coloma, Michigan

I believe in the right to wear flip-flops. The simple rite of passage into spring, allowing the air to brush the winter confined toes with a stretch and sigh of satisfaction. I believe that flip-flops are a protest against winter, snow, frost, and rain. That if more people exposed bare toes that spring and life would come sooner to the winter weary world. I believe that painted toenails are an expression of a persons personality, a way of allowing the color of the individual to appear.

I believe that each foot is an architectural wonder, the tiny bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles, nerve fibers and endings, and the skin that stretches and covers each individual footprint. To swoosh barefoot through grass while playing croquet, , or hearing the flip-flop-flip-flop while walking along is a miraculous wonder.

I believe that close-toed shoes are an imprisonment while opened toed shoes are adornment for the feet. A chance to let natures wonders dazzle before an audience.

I suppose that for some this seems too trite and airy for a serious essay series, but for me it is a subject close to my heart. Eight years ago after a routine knee operation I was left with the loss of my dorsal inflection, otherwise known as drop foot. While the drop foot curtailed some of my activities, the inability to wear most of my shoe collection was a huge adjustment. Flip-flops, high heals, sandals, in-fact if the shoe could not accommodate my orthodic brace it was basically impossible to wear. It was a long time before I could wear shoes normally. Nowadays when I slide my foot into a particularly charming pair of flip-flops a few weeks ahead of spring, I marvel that all my toes work, that the muscles can grip the shoe properly and that in most cases I can walk without tripping.

Even if I know that maybe it is a little to cold outside for bear feet, I smile at the naysayers and wallow in the golden opportunity that I’ve been given, to exercise my belief in the eternal allure of flip-flops.