Yen - Norcross, Georgia

The Power of a Smile

I believe in the power of a smile. It is ridiculous how the bubbly person next to you can turn you into a blabbing and smiling fool. I have always thought of endorphins generated from smiles as like pixie dust that can transfer from one person to another and make people glow. Besides from being impossible to resist, the powers of a smile is healing. Nothing cures a case of the blues better than a smile.

The other day I woke to my three-year-old nephew’s face. He was on orders to wake me up and took the liberty to deposit his thirty pounds of chubbiness on my slender frame. It was eight in the morning on a weekend, a time when no teenager is awake or should be awaken. Needless to say, I was not pleased…until I opened my eyes to see his wide and toothy smile. That smile was all it took for me to forgive him. It made my day.

I often find myself walking in the hallways or streets and awkwardly smiling at the people who pass me, and they return an equally awkward obligatory smile or vice versa. However, one day I was in an especially good mood and in a moment of randomness, brightly and genuinely smiled at the next person who passed me. Guess what? The person brightly and genuinely smiled back. My smile had the power to make a stranger’s smile so much brighter. This incident reaffirmed my belief that smiling is good for my health.

Sometimes, I take a walk within the corridors of my mind and find myself randomly smiling. Don’t get me wrong, I am not crazy. I just easily amuse myself and smiling makes me feel good. According to scientists, the body releases endorphins when a person smiles. Endorphins make a person feel good. Smiling suddenly doesn’t seem meaningless anymore. It chemically makes a person feel good.

The smile is often overrated and underused or wrongly used. In the past, I tended to smile when I feel like I have to in order to be polite. Now I realized that a smile should not be cheaply used. If there is no authenticity about it, then there is no warmth and power to the smile. The smile would then just be a facial change. So the next time I smile, I will smile like I mean it because I never know whose day I make brighter if I hadn’t tried..