Stephen - Sapulpa, Oklahoma
Themes: sports

The Power of Competition

Bang!! goes the sound of the gun. Hundreds of men take off from the starting line, mud flying through the air, people pushing all around you. It is a great feeling. Competition has always pushed me to do my best. The competition between me and my older brother, James, has pushed me to do even more than I thought I could, like the time I beat my personal record by two minutes.

All season me and my brother had been switching off. I would win, then he would win. Then in the middle of the season he got faster. Before he would beat me by 5 maybe 10 seconds but all of sudden he started beating me by 20, then 30, and even 40 seconds. I had no chance. Week after week he kept beating me. Then one week I started to do better and after a week or two I started to tie him. It felt great to be doing that good again it was like I could do anything. Then the next week his race was a couple of hours before my race, so he came up to me and said prepare to be smoked, at first I just laughed then I saw him run it beat anything we had did all year. It was like I fell like I just died he broke his personal record by a full minute. So when he saw his time he laughed at me. I remember him coming up to me and saying beat that. I then started to stretch for my race and all I could think about was getting a better time than him. When the race finally started I was so nervous I thought I was going to be sick. The gun shot and I was off. I didn’t even care about the race all I cared about was beating James’s time. I ran as fast as I could and I still did not think it would be enough to beat his time. At the end of the race I thought my legs were going to fall off I was so tired. When my brother come up to my and said good job I didn’t think you where going to beat my time it felt great. Then he showed me my time 20:36 about a minute faster than him and two minutes faster than anything I had ever run.

Later I ran better races but not one of them has felt as good as that one, just knowing I beat my James made it all worth it in the end. My competition with James pushes to me work harder than I ever have before with later practice, longer runs, but I am glad I did it or I may not be as good as of runner as I am now.