Fernando - culver, Indiana

Life is a game where unexpected things can happen. There are times when you win the game, and times when you lose. But this is what this game is about: In order to become a better player, you need to play, play, and play until you dominate the game.

Throughout my life I have won this game several times. But there have been times where my competitor has had more experience than me. Throughout my life I had complications dealing with the relation between my parents. When I was just four years old, I had to move from where I was raised to another city about two hours away. But what depressed me was that my dad was still working where we used to live. So even though we were only two hours away, I used to see my dad around two to three times a month.

After two years the relation between my father and my mother started to improve. But it was too good to be true – after three years the complications came back and they came twice as strong. For this reason I had to live with my grandmother for one year; it was a year but it felt like ten. I suffered so much that I felt like I was in the eye of a hurricane, where everything is calm but you know that the storm will return within the hours. And my storm returned a year later when they got divorced.

What hurt the most wasn’t that they were separated, but that I never knew what it felt like to have a real family, where we sit all together and talk in the mornings, a family who is always there when you need them, a family who lives under the same roof.

Culver has helped me become a mature teenager, whose way of thinking, of seeing the world, has completely changed that’s what makes me different from the teenagers back home. I have gained the maturity to deal with the kind of situations I used to have back home.